1 year

Usually I wouldn't write this in English, but since it's new year's, why not? It's really early and I haven't slept enough, so don't expect perfect grammar or perfect English :)
Not the biggest person in history, but still a shock to me!

A year ago I came home from a wonderful new year's eve party. When I logged onto facebook I saw pictures of myself. I was horrified, almost in shock. Was that me? That fat whale with arms the size of Brazil? In my head I had always thought I was "normally" shaped. Not too big, not too small. You know, there were always angles which weren't so flattering. But they were all angles, not reality. So when I saw these pictures reality hit me hard. That was me. I was that big and surely some of them were angled, you can't really blame it on those poor angles. I decided to do something about it, like I'd try to do so many times before. But this time it would be different.


I started thinking about all the times I'd tried and failed before and I wrote down all the methods I'd been using and what had gone wrong. So, this was my conclusion.
dead after dance class
1) No diets
2) No gym memberships
3) Don't forbid yourself to eat anything
4) No excuses

And this was my solution
1) Count calories
2) Walk, even if it's just 10 minutes. Every exercise is more than doing nothing
3) Eat candy and bad food now and then
4) See this as a lifestyle change - not a quick fix


3 months later I had lost 5 kilos. In my head I had been hoping to lose 10 kilos before summer. I knew it wouldn't happen. But I didn't give up. I had still lost 5 kilos. That was more than I had lost every other time I had tried. But 10 kilos was still that golden limit. I wanted to reach it. And I did, in September this year.

First it was all about counting calories, didn't matter what I ate as long as I ate my calories. And for being in the beginning, this was true. As long as I ate consistently and as much every day I would lose weight. No one can argue with that. But this applies to me because I usually could go an entire day without eating anything and then eat tons of candy and bad food. If you want to lose weight it does matter what you eat, not just how many calories you eat.

When I realised I had to start eating good food, not just eat anything, I found calorie count. It's been my hero. I've learned so much about nutrition and I think it's something all of us should know. I still have pizza now and then, and I still have candy. The key is to limit yourself - not forbid. Eat what you like, but less.

Now I've lost another 4.2 kilos. I really wanted to hit the 15 kilos mark before the new year, but who can complain when you're this close? And for those of you who don't do kilos 14.2 kilos is roughly 32 lbs or 2 stone and 3 lbs.


Things that have changed by losing weight

1) My pace: I can walk a lot faster now. Before I would walk really slowly and after a few minutes I would be in pain.
2) My heels: I have heel spur, but by losing weight it's a lot easier.
3) Tying my shoe laces: At one point I couldn't bend over because it took the breath out of me. I could reach my feet but it was a terrible struggle. Now I have no problems at all tying my shoelaces.
4) Heartburn: I used to take heartburn pills everyday, several times a day. I didn't see the connection between bad food, being overweight and heartburn. Now I haven't taken one single heartburn pill since January 2012.
5) Breathing while sleeping: I had a lot of weight on my chest and my throat and it made it hard to breathe, especially while lying down. It would contribute to bad sleep and being tired all the time. I still have some excess fat on my chest and throat, but not as much as before and sleeping is a lot easier.
6) My clothes: Now, I don't just mean the sizes but the style. Now I dare to dress in other things, not just black. I actually wear colours and I don't purchase as many black items as I did. One day I'll even wear jeans or trousers that aren't black!
7) My attitude: I am happier, I am more positive. I am less judgmental and bitter.
8) My relationship: On all aspects. This experience has brought us closer to each other and Mike's been my biggest support in this. Without him I wouldn't have come this far. He's been taking the lame before and after pictures and he's been there walking and biking with me. The only thing I couldn't get him to do was go to the dance class with me. But it's ok. I forgive him ;)
9) My will to live and to try new things: This may be in the category of my attitude, but thanks to losing weight I've done so many other things that I never did before because I thought I was too big for them. I wouldn't want to be humiliated. Like sledding! I was terrified my butt wouldn't fit, but it did. And it was a lot of fun!
10) My looks: I know, this is conceited, but I LOOK GREAT AND I FEEL GREAT! And I will look even better when I've lost it all :)

Downsides to losing weight! Because I had to ;)
1) My feet look huge!!

The result? See for yourself :)
3½ years later I'm finally doing something about it
taking pictures using the same clothes has been my favourite  hobby lately

left picture London
I have a jaw line!!

that dress was horrible on me
I mainly put this up because the change of style :)




I know I keep doing these backwards but I can't help it

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank all my family and friends for the great support you've showed me during my struggle. Without you I'd be lost. And a special thank you to Mike for being my hero!

Kommentarer

  1. I just wanted to say that I'm so glad you wrote it in English, so that I could find it! Congrats on your great achievement! You've done awesome and you will do so much more! The bullet points above are very touching. Continue the great work! You rock!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi
    Here I am in Finland trying to do the same thing. Lycka till!
    I am impressed and inspired by your achievements. Keep it up!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Amazing story...amazing young lady!
    You have shared your most inner thoughts and feelings and I know this will be a great help to many who are struggling!

    Keep going and love the pics!...keep smiling Dawn...life is good!
    cheer, Maureen

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg